Saturday, November 18, 2006

October 18, 2006

Yesterday I started my first tutoring session. I am teaching English to Karen (4th grade) and brother Brian (6th grade) who go to local schools here. Although Karen goes to an English speaking school, their parents want them to be taught by a "true Westerner". This job pays fairly well, and will hopefully cover some of my travel expenses this year. Lessons are very popular here, and it's not unusal for a kid to have 3 or 4 extra lessons of something every week. In true Chinese fashion, I got the job via the librarian at our school, who talked with another parent, who talked with Karen and Brian's mom when they saw that I lived in the same building. Apparently it would have been rude to approach me directly. I'm always learning something.

Christmas decorations and lights are starting to come out in full force. It seems odd to see Santa and greeting cards as it's barely warm enough to warrant wearing long sleeves (let alone long pants, some days). It also seems strange to see Christmas decorations when there aren't any Thanksgiving or fall festivities to kickstart the holiday season.

I will get a change of weather next week when I travel to Japan for our Thanksgiving break. I'm staying with Uncle Bill and family in the southern island of Kyushu.

1 Comments:

At 11/20/2006 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah...christmas decorations are already in full force in honduras as well. it started about a month ago. weird

 

Post a Comment

<< Home