Sunday, September 24, 2006

burgers and pizza

This Saturday I attempted some more bargain shopping in MongKok. This is the most densely populated area of Hong Kong. In fact, someone told me that if everyone who lived there would step out of their buildings at the same time, there wouldn't be even nearly enough room for everyone to stand on the streets. I could sense the bustle and hustle as people bumped into each other, shoving and pushing and trying to get from one bargain to the next.

I did come out pretty well and am getting better at bartering. I guess the key is to start bargaining at a 1/4 of the price that is listed and to work your way up to about 1/2 of the listed price. Christmas shopping will be fun this year.

This weekend also consisted of eating at and discovering Western restaurants and taking the ferry back and forth. I was trying to come up with a list of all of the American food chains that I've seen here, and this is what I came up with: McDonalds (EVERYWHERE), KFC, Pizza Hut, TGI Fridays, Outback Steakhouse, California Pizza Kitchen, Starbucks (of course), Subway, Haagen Daaz, and I'm sure there's a Hard Rock Cafe somewhere. I also pass four 7-11's on my way to work, and it's pretty likely that if you walk around for a day, you'll run into one about every 3 minutes. Supposedly, there's a Taco Bell not far away, too, which is on next weekend's agenda.

2 Comments:

At 9/26/2006 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! It sounds like you won't get too home sick for some of our "American Food". I heard KFC is real big in Hong Kong..did you eat at any of the places? Are the prices of things alot cheaper than here? or just a little cheaper? I bet you will not find a Culvers in Hong Kong!! (Its a custard, butter burger restauant in the US). I'm looking forward to more of your educational blogs!

 
At 9/27/2006 12:04 AM, Blogger CWW said...

ah, we should talk. i just recharged my phone, so now, I can receive calls....maybe that was the problem. ..... much love to you, emiloo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home