Saturday, October 14, 2006

lamma island


Today I went to nearby lamma island, a quiet, more remote and sleepy island with no cars and some fishing villages. We took a ferry from the central ferry pier, hiked across the island (about an hour and a half), ate lunch on the patio of the laid-back pub full of expat Brits, and took a returning ferry.

It is still hot and here, with temperatures in the upper 80's, which is supposed to be a refreshing change from hot and humid with temperatures in the lower 90's, as it was upon my arrival.

The lush vegetation (want a banana while you're hiking? no problem...they're everywhere) around the island reminds me that I am in a tropical environment, the fishing boats remind me that commerce and industry here is different than Denver, and the Buddhist temple reminds me that I'm not in a Western country anymore.

It was refreshing to get away from the busyness of the city, which I always appreciate when I have a chance for a small escape.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home