Monday, October 16, 2006

just another day

My cousin Kate (Bruinooge) was in town visiting a friend this week, so we had dinner tonight in the Wan Chai district. It was good to see a familiar face and to talk to someone who's known me my whole life.

On the train ride home, I started to think about all of the things that have become routine and part of daily life here. This week just about marks the half-way point between arriving here and coming home for Christmas. I came up with a list of things that I barely notice now, things that are part of my daily life which I noticed upon first arriving, but have become ingrained with my routine. I'm sure there's more, but here is a list off the top of my head...

routine things:
  • watching people do tai chi every morning in the courtyard
  • working on the 5th floor of a building, overlooking a racetrack
  • going to Pizza Hut and not being able to find a pizza that doesn't have corn on it
  • finding myself running down the stairs along with everyone else to get a seat on the train or subway
  • taking about 12 escalators a day, and making sure that I follow the custom of standing on the right, and passing on the left when I'm in a hurry
  • noticing that 80's fashion has made a huge come-back
  • getting coffee at a McCafe (usually adjoined with a McDonalds)
  • seeing an entire aisle of Cup Noodles at the grocery store
  • passing by 4 7-11's on my way to work, all without a Slurpee machine, but all where I can pay my bills and buy stamps
  • hearing students talk about their 4 day weekend vacation to Thailand
  • having my students speak at least 3 languages, sometimes more
  • passing by malls filled with Gucci, Prada, and Louis Vitton on a regular basis
  • commuting to work by bus, taxi, or train and having a book in hand
  • calling an elevator the "lift," and the restroom the "toilet"
  • going to a Starbucks right next to a street vendor selling fishball noodle soup
  • using my cheap cell phone to call home, 14 hours behind me
  • taking a ferry on a regular basis, for about 30 cents a ride
  • paying high prices for yogurt and cheese, but buying produce cheaply (and often at the wet market)
  • seeing about 1/2 the people on the train wearing Converse tennis shoes
  • hearing "please mind the gap" when boarding the train
  • watching the majority of people passing on their phones or with earphones
  • hearing English being spoken, but with a British or Australian accent
  • finding most public places extremely clean, maybe due to the "no spitting" or "no hawking" signs

1 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 8:02 AM, Blogger Suz said...

Hey! This list cracks me up. It is so true that the things that you thought were the strangest, aren't even noticable anymore. I've been trying to catch you on skype but keep missing you. I love your updates and pictures. I hope we get to meet up soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home