Friday, January 09, 2009

AsiaLearn

This year, I've also had a part time job as the Resident Director for AsiaLearn. I was connected to this organization through a friend, when they decided to open up a program in Hong Kong this year. AsiaLearn arranges study-abroad programs for college students, and they just started working with Hong Kong University. Last semester, 6 students piloted this program and this week, 14 more came from Universities all across the U.S. It's a simple job really; I'm sort of "on call" in case the students have any questions or run into any trouble, and I also give them a brief orientation when they arrive and meet with them three times throughout the semester. Last semester, I really enjoyed hearing about Hong Kong and expat life through new eyes and from college students with a fresh perspective. I guess it hasn't really been all that many years since I was that age myself, but it's been interesting for me to reflect back on myself as a college student and realize how different I was during that time. I am a bit jealous of their opportunity to travel and live abroad so early on into adulthood. I have always wanted to live in a different country and have this experience, and I am now grateful that I chose a vocation where there are plenty of opportunities, and where I can grow professionally as well. My job with AsiaLearn has made me all the more grateful for the place I ended up and the experiences I've had so far.
Here is a link to the Asialearn website if you're interested: http://www.asialearn.org/about/the_asialearn_team/in-country_support_team/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home