Monday, January 05, 2009

christmas in hong kong

I have never celebrated Christmas so much as I have this past year. I didn't have time to post any pictures or blog before I left for the States, but better late than never (too busy celebrating the holidays, I guess). Working at an elementary school (and at a Lower Primary school in particular) is a good way to celebrate the holidays...staff and department parties, kids' programs, construction paper decorations, teacher presents (my best teacher gift year ever!), and carol sing-a-longs. That's just at school. I had a few Christmas parties with friends, went to a tram party, sang and celebrated Advent at church, and tried to get a bit of shopping done. Trying to maneuver around Hong Kong is exhausting and tiring enough on the weekends, let alone during Christmastime. I definitely welcomed the open spaces of America for a couple of weeks!
The Christmas tree at New Town Plaza...always overdone, Hong Kong style.
I won the "best Christmas sweater" award at my friend's party (um, not mine, just borrowed from my middle-aged teacher colleagues...no offense to you if you fit that demographic).

Some of my colleagues at our Christmas party for the Student Services department.


I went to see The Nutcracker with friends Christine and Mike. This is my third year in a row seeing it...it's become a tradition for me and Christine to go the last week before break.


One of the Christmas festivities in the mall...not sure what is happening, but any sort of costume or special display always draws a big crowd here. I'm also not sure how this is related to Christmas at all, but it didn't seem to matter to anyone.




decorating cookies at a friend's Christmas party





again, after the Nutcracker, in front of the harbor






I was serenaded by one of the 2nd grade classes...pretty cute, huh?








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home